Meditations by James

I am a student at Tyler Junior College working to get my Bachelors in History, hoping afterwards to head to bible college to get my Masters in Theology, and ultimately my Doctorate or more to teach bible college.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Alba, Tx, United States

I am a bi-vocational pastor of a small church in Texas.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Lavenham, England


One of the neat quaint little villages that I have visited on my time here in England is named Lavenham. There is a poem called: "The Crooked Man", the poem was based on this little town in England. It is a pretty amazing town and really small, but what is amazing is that people live and have lived in houses as crooked as these. I ate at this little restraunt called "The Sweetmeats Tea Room" and my chair would not even sit level due to the floor being wavy. The walls too were really wavy, which to me is amazing.


They say that when they built the town that they took all of the ships and tore them apart to build the houses out of them. The only problem is, ships are wet and so is the wood, so when they built the houses out of them of course the wood dried up and warped. There are very few houses in England, infact this is the one of the only towns in England where the house is built out of wood, and even at that there is plaster between the wood. I hope that you enjoy the pictures, I will have to post more periodically.


There was a crooked man
Who walked a crooked mile.
He found a crooked sixpence
Against a crooked stile.
He bought a crooked cat
Which caught a crooked mouse,
And they all lived together
In a crooked little house

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home